* 75% of millennials and gen-z in the United States are actively on Snapchat. 93M of them are over the age of 18.
** 57% of millennial Snapchat members who registered in-app in 2018 went to the polls and voted, whereas only 41-52% of millennials tend to vote.
*** During the 2016 election season, 63% of young voters learned about the voter registration process through their school; most colleges and universities will be closed during the Fall 2020 election cycle.
* Snapchat purchased Bitstrips (Bitmoji’s parent company) for $64M in 2016; at the time Snapchat’s daily active users was 122M. In 2017 Bitmoji was Apple’s most downloaded App. In Q2 of 2020, Snapchat recorded 238M daily active users.
** As fashion brands have been lagging with brick and mortar stores, in the last FY Ralph Lauren has increased their number of stores in the US from 224 to 230, and 501 to 530 Globally. YoY revenues fell from $6.31B to $6.16B (FY ending March 28 2020).
* 54% of women have claimed a preference for their cosmetics to be all-natural.
** The current US cosmetics market is around $49B. The natural cosmetics market is positioned to be worth $25B globally by 2025. Most of the natural cosmetics market is driven by large market players, rather than small entrepreneurs growing to competitive scale.
*** 5% of Jane Goodall’s product sales through Schmidt’s are donated to the Jane Goodall Institute.
*Intel is currently betting big on memory, autonomous driving, and 5G.
†Over the last 5 years: revenue has increased 30%, operating income has increased 57%, and shares have increased in value by 87%.
‡Their 2020 goal is to have $1.0 billion in annual spending with diverse-owned suppliers.
* Adobe’s revenues increased to $11.2B this FY, from $9B last FY, and $7.3B the year prior.
** Colors significantly impact how people think and act. In a 1996 paper, it was discovered that the color of medication effects how patients believe in a drug’s effectiveness, including the effect of placebos.
* By working with schools Salesforce spun a non-profit to sell tailored Salesforce software to improve efficiencies in K-12 schools. Salesforce.org has lauded 49% faster school response times to issues, 31% enrollment efficiency, and the ability to boost fundraising by 28% on average. And of course, higher student engagement.
** Salesforce has 15.8B in revenue, up from 13.2B last FY, with an ~18% annual return on their common stock.
* The NTSB's most recent report (2016) reported that around 30 people die every day from drunk driving in the US (almost every 48 minutes) with 10,500 deaths and 290,000 DUI injuries annually. These statistics are expected to decline with Lyft’s influence.
** Lyft launched in 2012. It has reported over 1 billion rides, by 30 million riders, in 2 million vehicles. Lyft’s expected FY19 revenues is $3.5B.
Ironbound Action: San Francisco based Airbnb, founded in 2008, recently updated their work mission to include creating value across all stakeholders – “serving all stakeholders is the best way to build a highly valuable business and it’s the right thing to do for society”. The depth of value creation is at the core of attracting capital and propelling valuations. Serving society, employees, and customers is the most valuable business strategy.
* Two million soap bars are discarded at hotels in the US every day. Soap prevents several leading causes of death among children under the age of 5, including pneumonia and common digestive tract illnesses. Clean the World has been able to make over 50 million full-size soap bars, and distributed them to 127 countries in need.
** Hilton operates over 913,000 hotel rooms, at nearly 5,600 properties globally. Last FY Hilton had $8.9B in revenue, up from $8.1B the year before.
Ironbound Action: Los Angeles based Beyond Meat, founded in 2009, is a leading plant-based meat substitute. Their success is more than simply an alternative to traditional meat protein, but rather a holistic shift towards progressive change. Beyond Meat, named company of the year in 2013 by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, helps consumers positively influence climate change*. In the grand scale of time, companies that compete only for profits are the true fads sinking into extinction.
*Beyond Burger uses 99% less water, 93% less land, generates 90% fewer Green House Gas Emission, and 46% less energy than a traditional meat burger.
** “Climate change will have significant implications for agriculture and food security ... for developing countries, climate change could exacerbate the food security challenges they already experience.” – 2018 Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations Report
We are strategy consultants helping C-Suite executives develop new growth opportunities and take calculated risks.