* In 2007 a handful of environmentalists created Aardvark Straws, to make sustainable ‘Made In USA’ paper straws. By 2016, their manufacturing facility was overwhelmed with orders and was subsequently bought out by Wellspring Capital to scale their facility and meet market demands.
** Companies such as Starbucks and McDonalds, as well as hospital systems nationwide have plans to transition from plastic straws to paper straws. The paper straw market is expected to experience year-over-year exponential growth for the next decade.
* 9.1B tons of new plastic has been manufactured, but only 9% of it has been recycled. This is a very alarming statistic. One million plastic bottled beverages are sold every minute globally. In the US only 10% of consumer plastic is recycled, compared to 25% in China, and 30% in Europe. In Denmark, the average person accumulates 4 plastic bags per year, versus an average of over 360 per person per year in the US.
** In the last FY, Ford has increased their revenue from $156B to $160B, with a current market cap around $40B.
* Apple’s revenue increased from $229B in FY 2017 to $265B in FY 2018. Apple Watch revenues are obscured in Apple’s reporting in an “Accessories” category that includes AirPod’s, a wildly successful millennial trendsetting product. In Apple’s most recent quarterly report, “Accessories” saw year over year growth from $3.73B to $5.53B for the most recent quarter.
* Since the announcement of the Disney Aspire program two semesters ago, Disney’s stock has gone up from $110 to ~$145 per share with a $260B market cap. Last fiscal year Disney reported nearly $60B in revenue.
* The sleep products industry has grown consistently at 4% every year for the last 20 years. In FY 2018, the sleep products industry in the US had approximately $9B in sales.
* An example of a Dreamweaver's bespoke guest experience included someone who shared an interest in tennis, receiving tennis themed foods arriving at their table, along with tennis motifs, etc. Each Dreamweaver experience is bespoke, never to be repeated the same way again.
** Food and beverage sales in the US has seen a steady increase over the last few years to $798B last FY vs $782B the previous FY. High end limited service restaurants (including the haute cuisine category) made $210B in sales. Full service chain restaurants (in the category with Applebees) made $247B in sales. Approximately 195M consumers visit a sit-down restaurant in America at least once per quarter.
*National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey between 2013-2016 found, 1-in-3 US adults consumed fast food on a given day. Among those that reported eating fast food, men were more likely to have eaten fast food for lunch while women were more likely to have had fast food as a snack. On average fast food consumption was highest among youths and declined with age.
* DuckDuckGo processes 30M searches every day, doubling every year. They raised $13M in two early funding rounds since their founding in 2008. DuckDuckGo became profitable in 2014 through affiliate marketing. Estimated revenues for last FY are $7.5M.
We are strategy consultants helping C-Suite executives develop new growth opportunities and take calculated risks.